On Saturday night around 10:30 pm central time, my hometown Albertville, Alabama was hit by an EF3 tornado. With winds up to 150 mph and a path of distruction 3/4 of a mile wide, the town is a disaster area. There were 23 injuries (that I know of) and luckily NO FATALITIES. Once you see the pictures, that in itself if a miracle. Luckily my family was not affected, as we live outside of the city limits. They were very fortunate. Downtown Albertville took the most damage and it will be a while before things are back to normal. I heard a city councilman say in an online video that "the landscape of our city is changed forever." I believe that is true.
It is so hard to be 5,000 miles away and not be able to help in some physical way. All I have to offer is prayer. This morning in church our sign language team performed to Casting Crown's "Praise You In This Storm" and I cried as I thought about the images I had seen online. Albertville, I hope you do Praise HIM in this very literal storm that you're experiencing. My thoughts and prayers are with those of you who were affected.
VIDEO OF DAMAGES
Albertville Tornado
Aerial footage and article:
http://warmsouthernbreeze.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/tornado-rips-severe-damage-through-albertville-alabama/
2 comments:
Wow, I can't imagine how you must feel looking at all those pictures of your home town! Remember how you weren't able to fly out? Someone was keeping you and Andrew safe. Hugs!
I was so surprised when I woke up Sunday morning and Jeremiah told me the news. He showed me all of the pictures that people had posted on Facebook. So very sad. It is truly a miracle that there were no fatalities! Such a blessing. We were supposed to go to Steven Fitch's little girl's birthday party that day and decided not to because the weather just kept passing through Pell City and Albertville. Just seeing people's homes makes me sad because of the pictures and special things like that that were destroyed but thankfully they all have left what really matters and that is their families.
Post a Comment