Before we get any closer to Christmas 2010, I'd better do this post. It's one that I wanted to do (obviously) BEFORE Christmas.....Alas I didn't, so you'll have to see it now.
My Mom loves Christmas. And when I say that, I don't mean it's just her favorite holiday. I mean she REALLY loves Christmas and she loves to decorate her house. In fact, she has so many decorations that they fill my childhood playhouse! Decorating for Christmas is an all day event; if you can finish in just one day. All the decorations and pictures that adorn the shelves all year are swept away and replaced by beautiful Christmas displays. We like to give Mom a hard time because she has 8....EIGHT...trees in her house. I'd like to share those trees with you now:
Tree #1: The Family Tree
This is the tree that is the centerpiece of our living room, filled with all the special ornaments that we've collected over the years; baby's first Christmas, photo ornaments, crafts we made at church, the ornament that Becky Kennedy made for me the first year I made danceline, etc. There are even a few felt ornaments that Mom made her first year of marriage. They're all special. This tree has one rule that cannot be broken: IT MUST BE REAL! We've NEVER had a fake "family tree."
Tree #2: "White Angel Tree"
This is a 10 foot pencil tree that goes in our foyer. It has been around for many years, second to the family tree. It started out as an all white angel tree, but has acquired a few other solid white and/or silver ornaments. It's a very elegant tree. (Nevermind the GI-Normous glamour shot in the background)
Tree #3-Picture Tree
This tree made it's first appearance this year, in place of Mom's Christmas villiage, in the dining room. Mom and Annah get on these crafty kicks sometimes, and this tree is a result of one of those days. They decorated picture frames and put pictures from all of our childhood Christmases in them. It was really cute and I love the idea. There are pictures with Santa Claus and my favorite: Mom and I praying over our Happy Birthday Jesus cake when I was 2.
Tree #4 - Blue and Brown Tree
This tree made it's first appearance about 2 years ago, after Dad and I remodeled the master bedroom, which is where this tree resides. It's a white tree with blue and brown ornaments. It is probably my second favorite tree in the whole house. It looks so good in her room and is also very elegant!
Tree #5 - McDonalds Tree or "Andrew's Tree"
This tree has been around almost as long as the pencil tree in the foyer. We added this little 3 ft. tree upstairs when we were kids. We decorated it with all of our old Happy Meal toys and topped it with a beanie baby. Now it's "Andrew's tree."
Tree #6- Auburn Tree
This tree is also a short one. It first made it's appearance sometime while I was in college at Auburn. It's in the upstairs hallway and is decorated with blue lights and all of our orange and blue Auburn ornaments; complete with a shaker tree skirt. Normally a tiger beanie baby tops this tree, but Andrew ran off with it the other day..oops. This tree is so cute (and popular) that we leave it up all year long! War Eagle!
Tree #7 - Purple and Gold Tree
FYI: This tree used to be in my room, since purple is my favorite color, but it now resides in Annah's room since she stole borrowed the tree Mom put in her room to use in her house in Helena. It first made it's appearance in 2004 after our wedding, and somehow got transferred across the hall to Annah in 2007. This is my favorite tree! I should have taken a picture with the flash so you could see the detail of the ornaments, but I like the "glow" with no flash.
Tree #8 - silver kitchen tree
This tree is a 2 1/2 footer that sits in the kitchen. I don't have a picture of it...oops. But it still counts. :)
I wonder how many trees we'll have next year?
All joking aside, Mom always does a great job decorating the house at Christmas time. It's so beautiful! From the moment you walk in the door, you're filled with the warmth and joy that Christmas brings and to steal from Karen Carpenter "there's no place like home for the holidays."








No comments:
Post a Comment