Monday, February 15, 2010

Chicken Coop


Remember these cute lil baby chicks...

The sweet 'lil ones that we I bought Andrew just before Easter last year??  The ones he loved?
Well now they're all grown up and look like this:
The white ones were once the cute fuzzy yellow chicks.  Now they're GIANTS and Andrew is terrified of them.  (Just the white ones: Foghorn and Leghorn-the rest he likes).  They've also outgrown their pen; hence they run around in the yard.  They're like dogs really.  Every time you drive up, they come running to greet you.  They follow you around all over the yard and are pretty nice...except the two GIANTS.  They have a tendency to flog.  So, Dad and I built a new chicken coop so they have a nice place to live.
Day 1:
Day 2:
Since I took these pictures, Dad built some nests, feeders, and made some perches for them to roost.  He also traded Foghorn and Leghorn for a couple more Rhode Island Red Hens.  He also got a Red rooster, so we can make our own cute lil Rhode Island Red chickens.  So if anyone wants farm fresh eggs made by some happy chickens...you know where to find them. :)

The project isn't complete, but Dad wanted to at least get the chickens in before I went back to Hawaii.  There's still some fencing to be done.  When the project is finished the area in front of the coop will be all fenced in  so they'll have their own little "run."  

1 comment:

~Kimberly said...

Impressive! And tell Andrew I would be terrified of the big white ones too!