Monday, April 12, 2010

On Batteries and Space A

For those of you who know me, you know that at times I can get a little tongue tied and/or say the wrong word when I totally mean something else and yet the whole time my brain heard the word I was trying to say.  Well, Andrew and I were driving the other day and he asked why we turned left.  I said, "We have to to go to Walmart, Home De, I mean TARGET...we're going to Target."  
His reply:  "Mama, I think you need new batteries!"
Yes, Andrew.  Some days I DO need new batteries!  Especially on days when dealing with Space-A.

And on the subject of traveling Space-A....the Air Force HATES me!  (lol)
After an unsuccessful attempt at a flight that was actually going to Birmingham, there was a c17 headed to Montgomery today with 51 available seats on it.  I was pretty optimistic since there were only about 10 people trying to get on the flight.  Roll call comes at 4:25pm and we make it on!  We're travelers #3 and #4.  I called home to let them know we were getting on the flight and what time to come and get us.  I handed the phone to an Air National Guard guy and he told Dad where to go when he got to the base and even called security to notify them that he was coming since Dad doesn't have a military I.D.  Andrew was all excited because Paw-Paw, Papa, and Gracie were going to pick him up.  He proudly rolled his suitcase across the floor as we headed over to the counter to check our bags and get our boarding passes.  Just as they are about to put our luggage on the conveyor belt, a man comes in and says, "Folks I have bad news. There are only 3 available seats."  SERIOUSLY?!  The Air National Guard guy from Montgomery says, "That's impossible.  We've done this 1000 times and if you packed our gear correctly, there should be 51 seats for passengers."  He then proceeded to go look for himself and came back with bad news as well.  Apparently they didn't pack all the gear properly, thus doing away with 48 seats.  And if you remember from the beginning of the story, we're #3 and #4 on the list and since we can't be split up, we got bumped!  Talk about crushing your spirit!  It doesn't really matter to me, because I understand what's going on and I know that there will be other flights...BUT for a 3 year old who thinks he's getting on a plane to go to Paw-Paw and Granna's house it's a whole other ballgame.  He was so disappointed.  It broke my heart.   So we went to McDonald's and got hot fudge sundaes to make us feel better.  

Such is life with space a travel.  Oh well.  I trust that for some reason, God didn't want us to get on that flight, so I'm ok with it.  We'll try again and if we don't make it, I'll see you all in August!

2 comments:

Krista said...

Oh man, that must have been awful! I hope he's doing okay and you guys get on a flight soon. Abigail flips out when we don't get to do little things like go to McD's so I can't even imagine this.

~Kimberly said...

You should have shown the guys who packed the stuff wrong the sad face of a sweet little boy crushed because he can't go see his paw paw now. Awww, my heart is sad for him. But like you said, there is a reason for everything!