It was a dark and rainy drive on the backroads from Milton, Fl to I-65. The fog had rolled in and visibility wasn't the greatest...especially when Granna is driving! There was a somewhat impatient car behind us and an oncoming car approaching in the next lane. Up ahead we could see a dog wandering into the street. (You can see where this is going, right?) He was sniffing something in the middle of our lane. There was no time....He looked up at us and FROZE right there in the middle of the road. We all knew what was about to happen. With wet roads, being surrounded by cars, Mom braced for impact. I buried my face in my pillow just in time to hear that poor dog go bumpity bump under the truck. Oh, it was SO BAD! The largest animal I've ever smooshed was an opossum, which was still pretty gross. This poor dog! He just stood there and didn't get out of the way. About 30 minutes later, we stopped for gas, expecting to see evidence of our accident. Instead, we saw this.....
...a brown bat! Who knows how this little critter got there. Perhaps that's what the dog was after in the middle of the road or perhaps we hit him at another time. Nonetheless, it was pretty funny after it was all said and done. Especially when we stopped at cracker barrel over an hour later and out of the blue, Andrew said, "Poor dog."
Needless to say, I drove the rest of the way home....luckily no more Animals were harmed!

1 comment:
I know first hand that it's no fun hitting a dog. We were pulling a travel trailer and there was a dog in the road. Can't hit the breaks with a load behind you! The worst part was the dog owner saw the whole thing from the side of the road! That bat is pretty cool though!
Julie S.
Post a Comment