Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Vintage Fashion Show

Mom helped my Grandmother clean out some of her drawers in an effort to give my Granddaddy more room to put his clothes.  (Men, you know how it is...your wife takes over multiple closets and drawers because she has way more stuff than you.)
Well, Mom came home with some treasures and I just had to try them on.  
*Disclaimer: I apologize for the cheesiness of playing dress up...especially when my hair is in a ponytail with no makeup, but that's not the point....these dresses are awesome!*


My Mom's Jr. Prom dress (1975)
 Mom and Dad's first Coronation Ball in 9th grade (1973)
 This one was my Grandmothers!  This dress is from the 40's.  She worked at the telephone company as an operator until the phones switched to "dial" and the operators were no longer needed.  Apparently, the company had a big "GO DIAL" party and this was the dress she wore.  I love it!
 This was a dress that Mom bought but never wore.
 It still had the tag!  (Rutenburg's is a store I have never heard of!) $44 back in the day was a lot!
 Mom's Sr. Prom (1976)
 It also came with a modesty shrug!
 This was Mom's "casual wear" in some pageant.
 I call this the school marm dress.  Mom's picture in this dress was featured at Olan Mills.
This one is my absolute favorite.  It was my Grandmothers.  The shrug comes off to reveal some sparkly broach type things on both straps.  It was a satin dress; very comfy.  I told Granny that I tried it on and she informed me that this was her WEDDING DRESS!  How awesome is that?!  Maybe I'll have it cleaned and wear it to the Marine Corps Ball next year!
I had fun taking a trip back in time.  I went back to Granny's the next day and found a few more.  There were even some of Mom's dresses when she was a little girl.  If I ever have a little girl of my own, I can't wait to put her in those cute vintage dresses!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had some giggles looking at these photos! How fun to play dress-up with vintage dresses!

Julie S.

Unknown said...

Oh my word that first one is gorgeous!

~Kimberly said...

How fun! I think you could were a couple of those to the ball!!! You looked adorable in ALL of them! So tiny!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

My daughter Kat loved doing that too. These dresses were from my era and brought back some cool memories...even the school marm dress. I had one in blue. The wedding dress is gorgeous and looks wonderful on you. You need to wear that dress somewhere. It is very stylish. I have a dress that was my moms back in the 50s. I can't wear it...but keep it anyway. My moms waist was 15 inches at the time. The dress is black taffeta with tiny red polka dots and has a built in crinoline. I love those blast from the past moments. I hope your Thanksgiving was amazing.