Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yard Work

Since returning to Hawaii, my yard has been in desperate need of some TLC. I spent the first 10 days back pulling weeds out of the front and back yards and chopping down a 10 ft. weed/tree that grew from the bottom tier of our retaining wall. If that wasn't enough I've decided that I'd rather have grass instead of this out of control vine with yellow flowers. So I took on the tedious task of getting rid of it. It's such a pain because there's a root every 2 inches or so. This is a before picture. This is after round-up and 4 hours spread over 3 days of pulling weeds. (You can tell I didn't get very far. The bottom right hand corner is where I started.)
Today I had a wild hair. I decided I was tired of my window boxes being empty so I took it upon myself to do some plumbing. I cut off the end caps on the PVC pipes running from our sprinkler system and added a few connectors and a drip hose. Once I had the window boxes hooked up to the water, it was time for flowers. Here is the finished product...
It looks so much better! Too bad I didn't have this done when the "Ugly" ladies came over for our monthly coffee! Andrew was such a great helper all day long. This kind of stuff is right up his alley. He held tools, handed them to me when I needed them, planted one of the flowers, and even swept up afterwards without me asking! I LOVE his help.
We worked outside until the light was almost gone. Since we had been outside all day we thought "why stop now?" and so we ate supper outside. I had to run in and get my camera because this is what we saw when we stepped out the back door.
It was a beautiful sunset painted by the hand of God! It was the perfect end to a perfect day and now if you'll excuse me...I need a bubble bath!

3 comments:

~Kimberly said...

Your flowers look fabulous!!! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Alaina, your house and yard are beautiful! Happy Andrew is so helpful especially while Drew is away. I think about you guys a lot! Love and miss you Sara

Lisa Spence said...

That sunset is gorgeous! And your house and yard are looking good!