Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Duplex Rehab

Flip that house! (or duplex in this case).  Several months ago I did a post about our business Liberty Coast Investments. {If I could find said post in my archives, I would link you to it.  Alas, it's late and I can't find it, so the gist of it goes like this: We invest in real estate, meaning we buy houses to either hold and rent or sell for profit.}  Anyhoo, I thought I'd catch you up on what we, as Liberty Coast Investments, have been doing.  We found a great deal on a duplex back in November.  We were a little slow to get started on the renovations due to that whole bed rest thing, birthdays, Christmas, back surgery (Drew), and a new baby.  We were just a little busy.  But renovations are almost complete on both sides now, so I thought I'd share the progress.

This property was bank owned and in need of some serious TLC.  Each side is 2 bedroom 1 bath.  The left side needed a LOT more work than the right, so we spent the majority of our budget working on that side.  It had to be totally re-wired, there were some plumbing issues, the kitchen needed gutting, as well as the bathrooms, both sides needed heat and ac window units, and the whole place needed sheetrock.  Even the ceiling had plywood and paneling???  Looking at the "before" pictures, you'll think we were crazy!  Hopefully, the place will win you over with the after pictures.  
*Note: as much as I LOVE doing the renovations myself, I can't really do them with a newborn, so we hired out the work for this one. And let me tell you...it's no fun to hear quotes on labor charges for stuff you know how to do!* Anyway, I digress.
 Here's the outside before...
 ..and the outside after. (they were painting the trim the day I took this pic, so it's not quite finished here)
The blue color is not my favorite, but for a rental, it'll do.  Especially when we had people practically knocking down the door to rent the place.  (Yes, both sides were rented while it was being renovated) It needs landscaping as well to help with curb appeal, but again..it's already rented.
view from front door (before)
view from front door: after
 kitchen before
 kitchen after

bedroom before (you can see where they're working on the wiring)
 bedroom closet (I couldn't get over PLYWOOD on the CEILING?!)
bedroom after
this space we turned into a laundry room
 like so...

bathroom before
It was a hot (pink) mess.  We got a new vanity, new light fixture, new medicine cabinet, new window, removed that vinyl board in the shower, replaced it with tile, and gave that tub a good scrubbin!

 after (since this photo we've put those blinds in the window and hung a shower curtain rod)
The left side is completely finished and a family moved in it 2 weeks ago.  We're still finishing up the right side.  Carpet is being installed on Monday, the tile is being grouted, and there are lots of little finishing touches that still need to be done to that one.  We were able to save the cabinets in the kitchen.  However, they did get refinished.  We were able to use the stove so we just got a new fridge and microwave on that side.  It also got a fresh coat of paint. The tenants are eagerly awaiting their move in date.  Our ultimate plan with the duplex is to list it for sale in hopes that another investor will buy it.   It's a great income property, already cash flowing, so if you know anyone who is interested, give us a call!  If you've ever wanted to get into the real estate business and own a rental property, this one is perfect to get you started.  In the meantime, we'll be collecting the rent.  :)

What is Liberty Coast up to next?  Well, we're also rehabbing this house:
It's a great little 3/2 built in 2001, nice neighborhood on a corner 1/3 acre lot!  It just needed a little cosmetic updating.  Can we say BRIGHT RED carpet and brass fixtures?  Renovations on this one are underway and we should have it on the market by the first of May!  I'll keep you posted on the progress of this one as well.  

We have finally started getting our business moving the way we've wanted to for a while.  No more procrastinating.  We're in full swing!

1 comment:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Love what you did with the duplex. It looks fabulous.