Seriously?! Am I 30 years old already? How did that happen? It seems like only yesterday I was in high school. Especially, after spending the weekend with some of my oldest friends. Brandee, Katie, and I all met around 3rd grade. Katie and I were in the same homeroom in 5th grade and I can still hear Mr. Jimmerson call her Katie "All-bad." (Her last name is Allgood)
Since I was home and we're all turning 30 this year, we decided to get a group together and have a girls weekend. Our city of choice: Nashville, TN. It was close enough of a drive for all of us to "get away" and yet far away enough to feel like we were on vacation. And besides, who doesn't love music city?
Friday night we enjoyed a dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory followed by some line dancing at the Wildhorse Saloon. Saturday we woke up late (thank you black out curtains!) and had a brunch at Monell's. This house was build around 1860 and it's a family style restaurant.
The place is pretty popular, and I know why...it's delicious! So we did have to wait about 30 minutes. Maggee, Annah, and Kellye anxiously awaiting FOOD!
The tables are large, so you sit with whoever comes in the door when you do. The menu is set so as soon as you sit down they start bringing food...and then more food, and then more food! Saturday's special was a country breakfast and boy was it delicious! We all stuffed ourselves. (Just to let you know how delicious it was, I spent all but 2 of my weight watcher daily points on this meal alone!) It was worth every point. Anyway, the neatest thing about breakfast was who ended up at our table. Everyone was asking "So where are you guys from?" The girls next to us answered, "Hawaii." What?! More Hawaii people in Nashville...sitting at OUR table! How crazy is that? Well it gets crazier. The girl looked a little familiar so I asked her where she went to high school. Her answer HBA! (That's where I taught before I had Andrew!!!) She was a sophomore when I was there, so she wasn't one of my students, but we knew all the same people. The girl with her was a neat story too. Her dad teaches a water safety course to the guys that jump out of the helicopters that my husband flies! It's such a small world. So of course I had to take a picture with my Hawaii friends before we left.
That afternoon, the older gals went to Hillsboro to do a little shopping. The downtown area of this neighborhood reminded me a lot of downtown Homewood. It was very cute. I even found a kitchen store to browse! That night we went to dinner at the Big River Brewing Company. A friend of ours from high school (though he moved away in the 9th grade) and his wife met us at the restaurant. They live nearby so it was nice to get to see them. They're expecting their first baby in May!
After dinner we said goodbye to Nathan and Alicia and decided to take in some of music city's nightlife. We went to a dueling piano bar for a while. Those guys never cease to amaze me. They can play anything!
Then we walked around Broadway and stopped in one place because we heard a country rocker singing Justin Bieber! We listened to him for a little bit before deciding we all needed to go to bed. The next morning before heading home, we ate at the Pancake Pantry! Yum! It was delicious as always. After breakfast it was time to say our goodbyes. (We drove 3 different cars and were all heading separate ways). Our weekend was a blast and I'm really glad we did it. We definitely need to do it again...maybe when we're 35? And another big one at 40? We'll see! :)
I'll update this post with more pictures when the girls email me the ones from their cameras.





1 comment:
I loved seeing all those familiar faces. Wow, just to think you guys are now the age I was when I taught you. Doesnt seem that long ago. Keep up the good writing.
Post a Comment