Monday, February 21, 2011

Trip to AUburn!

My Poppa's best friend in all the world is currently living in an assisted living place in Auburn.  His name is Rex and his granddaughter is somewhat famous.  Her name is Allie and she's the star of the Auburn women's basketball team.  (She has a bobble-head doll designed after herself)  Anyway, Rex and his wife, Virginia (a.k.a. Ginner) used to double date with Poppa and Granny.  But before all that, Poppa and Rex met at Arab High School where they were both part of the "1944 Undefeated, Untied Football Team."  They attended frequent football reunions.  They took all kinds of road trips together and everything.   The were virtually inseparable.  Rex hasn't been in the best health, so he was unable to make it to the funeral; a fact that really upset him.  So, since he couldn't come to us we decided to go to him.   


It was a nice visit.  We took him to lunch at Amsterdam Cafe and then sat in his room and talked for a while.  Now Rex is a talker and he knows EVERYBODY!  As a matter of fact, when we were heading out to lunch he pointed out his neighbor two doors down.  Her last name is Chizik!  (That's right...the coach's mom is his neighbor and good 'ole Gene has visited Rex twice - which is how he go the framed Cam Newton poster in his room!)  He also has an autographed helmet from Tommy Tubberville.  Rex is a character.  We shared some laughs along with some tears.  It was really good to see him and I know he appreciated our visit.  


Before heading home, we made a few stops: Tiger Rags and Toomer's Drugs for some world famous lemonade.  Andrew had been talking about lemonade all day, but Toomer's also has ice cream, which is what I was going to get.  So I asked him again what he wanted, just so he knew he had options.  I said, "Andrew do you want lemonade or ice cream?"  And with this "what were you thinking" look on his face, he threw up a hand and said, "I want lemonade AND ice cream."  I should've known!
I like the newly painted mural outside Toomer's.  Here's Andrew and Paw Paw enjoying their treats.
Man, I love that place!  It's always good to go back "home."  And I'm glad we got to see the Toomer's Oaks one more time before they die. :(  I hope they make it but it's pretty doubtful.   This particular day they had them boxed off with plastic all around the trees.  I think they were replacing the soil in an attempt to save them.  I took a picture, but decided not to share.  I'd like to remember Toomer's Corner in a more positive light.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Alaina!
Happy post-Birthday!You're 30 going on 20. And no wonder, look at your Mom, she's 29 TOPS!
Amazing to hear Andrew singing - good show! The pictures of you two on the beach are so beautiful, thanks for sharing. And Walt had it right- it is a small world and it's nice to meet folks we [almost]know and make friends.
Love that kitcen = can you say party kitchen?! Great NEWS - thanks for sharing.
Aloha~*Rose