Saturday, January 24, 2009

Deployment Day

Wednesday was D-Day. We had to have Drew at the hangar at 4 pm. They were busy getting all their last minute gear together, assigning firearms, and making sure everything was in order. We had a couple of hours to hang out with the other families before the buses came to take them to Hickam Air Force Base.
Andrew slept the whole way to the hangar and was still pretty sleepy when he woke up. He hung out with Daddy for as long as he could.
Some one on one father son time.

Our last family photo...It really was a beautiful afternoon at Kaneohe Bay!

One last "blow kiss" for Daddy.
Julie like the idea of a blow kiss, so she gave one to Mike!
Soon the buses came and all the smiles were soon replaced with tears. (I always hate the part when all the wives and kids start crying...breaks my heart) All the wives have their own "moment" when they lose it. One friend has hers just before leaving the house to drop them off. Another friend loses it when she pulls back into her driveway. I, on the other hand, have to try really hard to hold it in on that lonely walk to the car just after the last kiss. And my "moment" happens when I get in the car....alone! It's like when I shut the door, it just clicks and I lose it. I cry like a baby for about 15 minutes. It was especially bad this time because we hugged for as long as we could and then he kissed me goodbye as he was getting on the bus. I walked to the car, put it in reverse and took one last glance at the bus. And there he was, sitting in the front seat...waving. I'll hold on to that image for 7 months until he comes back to us.

6 comments:

~Kimberly said...

Awww...ok I'm totally holding back tears as I read this...Mike & Julie's blow kiss made me smile. That was cute!

Christine said...

My prayers are with you, my Dear! Thank you, for your gift of service to our country...
We miss you...

Anonymous said...

Alaina, reading this broke my heart. We'll keep you all, especially Drew, in our prayers. Will you be coming home any time soon?

Take care and keep strong.

Kathy Coy

Erin said...

That was so sad Alaina. I am crying just reading it. Time will fly by and he will be back home safe and sound!!

Love you!!

Ladners'Latest said...

Thanks everyone! And Kathy, I will be home April and May. Can't wait to see you!

Lisa Spence said...

How difficult that must have been (and still is!)...Praying the Lord's protection and provision for Drew and you both...

Just come on home; we'll take good care of you! :-)