Today we buried my Poppa. This was a sudden loss for our family and something that I don't think we were prepared for, but then again, can you ever really be prepared to say goodbye to someone you love? I've tried and tried to type up what I think would be an "appropriate" blog post to sum up my Poppa's life and I've deleted every post so far. My sister has always been the writer in the family and she wrote some pretty amazing thoughts about him on her blog. (Please go read it.) She read most of this at the funeral and it was perfect. We could all smile as we recalled our wonderful memories of Poppa and through our tears, we were able to rejoice because we know that Poppa is in heaven with our beautiful Savior!
Since I'm not really good with words, I'll stick to pictures. This picture was taken on July 31, 2007. I had just gotten my zoom lens and was playing around with it. Poppa was, where else, but in the garden. I was standing on his back porch and I hollered out to him. This is what I got....and even if you didn't know my Poppa, you will once you see this picture. To me, it sums him up perfectly!
"To measure a man's true wealth, count the things he has that money can't buy and death can't take away." With that in mind, my Poppa was the richest man I ever knew!
I'd like to thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, flowers, and cards during this time of grief. It really does mean a lot to hear your encouraging and comforting words.

3 comments:
Alaina, don't sell yourself short! Your post on here is perfect. It is hard to believe we buried Poppa a week ago today. Love you, Andrea
I have been thinking about you a lot. I know it is hard.
And get this for irony, I will be in Nashville Mon-Wed for work!
Heather
I'm so sorry Alaina, I had no idea. I've been disconnected with everything due to our family dealing with our own loss. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - Krista
Post a Comment