Tuesday started a very busy week for us. We have lots of squadron related activities scheduled this week. First of all was the Hail and Farewell at Formaggio's in Kailua. (For those of you who aren't my military readers: a hail and farewell is a get together/party we have to welcome the incoming members of our squadron and say goodbye to the ones leaving.) We've been around for 7 years so we've been to our share of hails/farewells, but never "our own." There were lots of other families leaving too, so we had lots of "goodbyes" to say.
Disclaimer: These action shots are less than flattering....my bad!
First up, the Merrill Family
Jeb always has a hand in the air!
Next up...the Mills
Moira giving a speech
Our turn. Before we got there Drew said "You're going to cry aren't you?"
I held it together. There were even a few comic moments.
No one was surprised when I had a few things to say.
I almost teared up, but I managed to hold it in.
aww...I got a thank you kiss
Drew inspiring the new generation of "Uglies"
Leaving is bittersweet.
Kelly gave a really nice speech. He even gave the great Nick Turner a shout out!
Andrew loves Ms. Christine!
Silky presenting the CO with his gift.
Deanna gave a touching farewell speech.
The gift for the pilots this year was an amazing painting of the ch 53-D. They were painstakingly accurate and the helos were personalized with their names on them. I wish I had taken a picture of it before we packed it up and shipped it home. It was really nice!We had a great time at the hail and farewell. Umm, the worst/most emotional one would have been when the rest of our peer group left (Kim, Julie, Lesley). I was a basket case that night. We've been around so long that NONE of our peer group is left. They all left us long ago. So, in a way, it's time to go! Thank you Ugly Angels for being my family for the last 6 1/2 yrs. I will miss you. But you know what they say: "Once an Ugly always an Ugly!"















3 comments:
Wish I was there too! Leaving the squadron and Hawaii can be difficult:( Enjoy your last few days left in Hawaii!
Julie S.
Makes me want to be there so badly! What a wonderful celebration! Moving on to another chapter will be so exciting for you! Just wish it started off up a little farther North... But looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!!!
Love that Kelly gave Nick a shout out! Would have loved to have heard ALL your speeches! (tissues in hand)
I can't believe it's been over a year and a half since we all left! Looks like your H&F was a fun and delicious (if bittersweet) night.
Are you guys going straight to Pensacola? Zach's at Whiting for MO school until the 21st, so you should definitely get together with him if your time overlaps. I think he's a little bored. (:
Post a Comment