Thursday, October 14, 2010

Travel Log: Day 12

I could rename Day 12 as: Boston to New Jersey via a HORRIBLE experience in NYC, but let's just keep it "Day 12."  We were literally in the car for 12 hours (except for one unfortunate event in the Big Apple-more on that later).    We left our hotel in Nantasket (not Nantucket) around 9 am, but not without taking some pictures of the beach.

 Andrew sitting on the beach wall
 View of our hotel from the water
 Another church somewhere around cape cod. I loved the mosaic tile steeple.
 We did take a little detour from I-95 to go into cape cod (just to say we've been there).  Here's a nice tranquil beach.
 Rhode Island
 Welcome to Connecticut
 We hit rush hour in New York City in the pouring down rain.  None of us had ever been to NYC.  The plan was to go over the George Washington Bridge, take 9A to 78 and make a pit stop at Liberty Park to take a pic of the Statue of Liberty.  Well the GPS had other plans.  For some reason our crazy navigator took us downtown Manhattan?!  (in RUSH HOUR...in the RAIN)  As we're stuck bumper to bumper Andrew announces from the back seat, "My tummy hurts."  Really?!  Bless his heart, he gave us about 20 minutes warning, but like I said RUSH HOUR in the RAIN.  We were stuck in the middle lane with concrete on all sides.  There was NOWHERE to pull over.  I'll spare you the details, but let's just say we had a little cleanup at 35th St. and 10th Ave.   We pulled over here:  At least we got to see the Empire State Building.
 From here, it took us 2 1/2 hours to get to Liberty Park because of all the lovely traffic.  To say that tempers were flaring is a bit of an understatement, but we finally made it. (still in the rain)  And we can laugh about it now.  The following TERRIBLE pictures pretty much sum up my first trip to NYC.  The city that never sleeps did NOT leave a good first impression.
I took this one from the moving car window....no way was I getting out in the rain.
Not to mention, we were supposed to be in New Jersey having dinner with Jon and his family on this night, but thanks to our rendezvous in New York, we didn't arrive in Vineland, NJ until 9:30 pm.  This prompted a two night stay in NJ so we could see our friends.  

I guess we can't really complain since this was the only bad experience we had in two weeks.  I guess we were bound to have at least one on our perfect vacation.  

Scott's quote about how he liked New York: "I've seen it and I don't ever have to go back."  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Show your dad my pics of NYC on FB. It's not all that bad!

Julie S.