Saturday, September 3, 2011

Chicken No Peek and Brownies

I don't know why I feel the need to blog about food lately.  Either because I'M STARVING or I've been inspired by Brooke at Veggie Table...OR because it's an incredibly rainy day (Thanks to Tropical Storm Lee).  Who knows?


So, last night I made Grandma's Chicken No-Peek, another recipe from my "Sunday Dinners at Grandma's" cookbook.  It sounded yummy so I thought I'd give it a go.  It was SO good!  Poor Drew, he missed out again.  (He's in Boston this weekend for a destination Bachelor Party Weekend)
RECIPE:
6 oz pkg. long-grain and wild rice mix, uncooked
10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
10 3/4 oz. can cream of celery soup
1 c. water
4 chicken breasts
1.35 oz. pkg. onion soup mix


Spread uncooked rice and seasoning mix in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan.  Combine canned soups and water in bowl; pour over rice.  Place chicken on top; sprinkle chicken with soup mix.  Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.  *Do not peek*  Makes 4 servings. 


In the meantime, my friend Kellye called and said she was craving something with peanut butter. *Hint hint for me to bake her something.*  Since we've already discussed the fact that I'M STARVING, I went to work.  I had a craving for brownies.  I found a recipe for chocolate peanut butter brownies in my same old trusty cookbook. 


1/3 c shortening
2 T baking cocoa (*I used special dark cocoa)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c all purp. flour
1/4 t salt
1/3 c creamy PB


In a small saucepan over low heat, melt shortening and cocoa together.  Cool; transfer to a medium bowl.  Stir in sugar and eggs; add flour and salt.  Mix well; fold in peanut butter.  Spread in a greased 8x8 baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 min. Cool; cut into squares.  Makes one dozen.  **I did a little ad lib to the recipe:   1 t vanilla flavoring and a little shot of coffee I had leftover from this morning.**
I also got the urge to spruce things up a bit.  While the brownies were cooling, I melted some chocolate chips in the microwave and mixed in some more PB and spread the mixture on top of the brownies.  


I made these little suckers last night and this guy is all the proof I have that I even made brownies, which is NOT good for the waistline!  I couldn't help it...they were SO mouthwatering good!  Kellye, who doesn't like chocolate, LOVED them!


So, stop what you're doing RIGHT NOW...GO.FAST.RUN into your kitchen and bake these brownies!  They will forever change your life!  Seriously, it's the best brownie recipe I've ever tried.  I like a soft, chewy brownie and these had the best texture!  YUM O.  Ok, now I'm thinking about how yummy they were (since typing this post, a certain 4 year old ate the last brownie standing), I'm going to have to make some more!!




**Once you make your brownies, leave a comment and let me know how they turned out!  

1 comment:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Yummmmy. The chicken dish sounds divine as do the brownies. Grief....I guess I am going to have to stop what I am doing and get to baking.