We landed in Birmingham Friday morning around 10am to a rainy 40 degrees. Drew flew separately and had plenty of sleep. Andrew had 6 hours of sleep, I had 1; yet the adrenaline kicked in and suddenly we were wide awake. We had breakfast at IHOP and then did a little shopping in downtown Helena. The sleep deprivation was catching up and we decided to sneak back to Annah and Jefforey's house for an hour nap before heading to the Polar Express. Andrew, however did NOT take a nap! We got all bundled up in our PJ's and headed to Calera.
Annah and I waiting to board.

Andrew, with no nap and major jet lag almost slept through the whole thing!
But we managed to wake him up just in time for the conductor to punch his ticket and get settled in our seats.
We listened to the book "Polar Express" on our way to the North Pole.
I think Annah and I were more excited than the kids.
The elves came in first to announce his arrival.
Andrew "tolerating" Santa as he stopped to talk to us.
After Santa's visit, we got cookies and chocolate milk!
That was the BEST chocolate milk I've ever had!
Andrew didn't complain either!
On the way back to the train station we sang Christmas carols.
And then before we left the elves gave us each a sleigh bell and an ornament.
It was such a fun experience, especially for us. Reading the Polar Express on Christmas Eve has been one of our traditions for as long as I can remember. And it truly was a lot of fun! I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. They do them all over the southeast. Just google "Christmas Trains in Alabama (or your state)" and see if anything comes up. I saw some in Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and the Carolinas.
After our train ride we drove back to Albertville, all exhausted and ready for bed. We got home at 10 pm and Andrew somehow managed to stay awake until 1:45am!












No comments:
Post a Comment