We woke up this morning we woke up in Stowe, Vermont. This quaint little town is situated on Vermont's historic highway 100. Also in Stowe: The Von Trap Mansion which is still owned and operated by descendants of the original Von Trap family, that the movie and musical The Sound Of Music was based upon. Stowe is also the home of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. We resisted temptation and kept on driving!
The first place we stopped was the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. As we were walking in the door Andrew decided that he wanted to take his picture in the barrel of apples.
Cold Hollow is famous for their "legendary" cider doughnuts. We had a coupon for a free one so we decided to give them a try. It tasted ok, but it was no krispy kreme. It was a cake doughnut and it was a little heavy on the cinnamon. Andrew even said, "Mama this tastes funny."
We continued our drive down Route 100 exploring the foliage and we stumbled upon this waterfall.
(again it was taken from the window)
The most beautiful thing about Vermont, in my humble opinion, was the farmland scattered among all the beautiful leaves. I also loved it when we'd see a little town off in the distance with a church steeple sticking up.
In case you haven't noticed, we spend most of our days "off the beaten path" so there aren't any places to stop and get lunch. No worries, we were prepared. Most every day we pull over in a pretty spot and have a picnic. Today we found a spot by the babbling brook and had a picnic on the rocks.
On this particular day, we had a little frog friend sitting near by. Andrew threw rocks at him all day and he never moved!
I tried to get some cute pics of Andrew. He cooperated a little. (sorry...no time to edit these photos on the road)
After lunch we got back on the road and continued driving south through Vermont. I made Dad pull over so I could take a picture of this barn. We were particularly impressed with this wooden silo.
I liked this farm too!
And I couldn't pass up taking a picture (through the window) of a PURPLE house!
I can't remember this town because it was getting late and we had been in the car all day so my brain is fried, but I loved this church!
Next to the church was this "town hall" building. The architecture out here is amazing!
Eventually we started heading east and crossed over into New Hampshire. We spent the night in a town called Lincoln, which is right next to Woodstock. There's a famous highway there that we're going to take. We were lucky to find a room because 1) it's Friday night 2) it's a Holiday weekend for U.S. and Canada and 3) everyone is in town to see the leaves! But the Lord provided and we found a place. It even had an indoor pool, so you guessed it...Andrew got to go swimming...again!
Our travel map:
















3 comments:
Are you sure that frog was alive??? How fun to picnic! I'm so jealous and wish I was riding along with you all! Can you imagine the Turner clan on this adventure! "OMG are we there yet?" "I need to go potty" "Addison hit me" ...*sigh* maybe when they are holder!
I want to be there now.
From Hawaii to Maine in just a few months, you and Andrew are quite the well traveled pair.
Love all the quaint towns and pics. Lol on Kim's comment!
Julie S.
Post a Comment