Sunday, October 10, 2010

Travel Log: Day 8

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, we made it to Damariscotta, Maine to the Down Easter Inn.  It was a beautiful house built circa 1850.  Click on the link above to learn more about it.  I gave you the link in yesterday's post for the town of Damariscotta.  It just so happened that we were there for the annual Pumpkin Fest, so our breakfast was pumpkin themed.  Yum. 

Andrew showing me how the old water pump works.
The Down Easter Inn

It was really a good thing that we stopped in this adorable little town.  We got to see some very unusual things.  First of all they had a pumpkin growing contest.  These whoppers are second and third place.
This granddaddy of a pumpkin is your winner, and new Maine state record.  Anyone want to guess how much he weighs?
That's right...1471 lbs!
Mom and Dad posing with the prize pumpkin.
Another awesome thing we got to see was the pumpkin boat races.  Yep, I said pumpkin BOATS.  Here Andrew and I try to stay warm as we wait for the race to begin.
The first round was "paddle" boats.  That's right folks.  You're looking at hollowed out pumpkins that people are actually sitting in!
This guy was a retired Marine and he made his to look like an old paddle boat.  He even had a horn inside that played Dixie.
We were so cold that we left before the motor boat round.  (yes, they put motors on them)  I know I know, that's the best part, but it was COLD sitting by the water.   Before we left, we did get to say hello to sweet Layla.  Isn't she a cutie!
On our way out, we stopped to take a picture by the USMC hummer.  They had a big screen tv in the back so kids could play video games. 
All over the town, there were pumpkins decorated as cute as they could be.  I took this lady bug for Annah.
Honeycomb
This little lady is supporting Breast Cancer Research.  After all, October is Think Pink month!
A cactus of pumpkins outside of Paco's Tacos.
Andrew and Paw-Paw stick their heads in a cutout of some pumpkin boat racers. 
On our way out of town, I couldn't resist taking a picture of this tree.  I think it was my favorite of the trip.
After leaving Damariscotta, we headed on down the coast to visit the Pemaquid Lighthouse.  We also had some lobster at the restaurant next door. 
I love the architecture here.  The cape cod shingles are my favorite, but I had never seen them on a church before.  This is the methodist church in Bristol, ME.
We had to make a quick stop at the crafter's co-op.  It's an old house full of crafts.  The crafters that sell their items take turns working the store.  I met a transplant from South Carolina.  He was a photographer.  His work was amazing!  (It was nice to hear a southern accent)
Coastal Maine is absolutely gorgeous!  It is by far my favorite part of our trip.  There are fishing villages everywhere, with cute little harbors like this one, tucked into the coast. 
Taking the back roads has its advantages sometimes.  Dad spotted an old cemetery off the road and being the history buff that he is, we pulled over to check it out.  The oldest grave I found was from 1807!  That's an old grave!
Several of the graves were from soldiers in the AMERICAN REVOLUTION! ...the American Revolution!
We carried on heading east along highway 1 on the coast.  Along the way, we saw this vista.  I had to take a picture.
It started getting dark as we came into the little town of Belfast, Maine.  Here's part of the town as we crossed over the bridge.
We found the most adorable place to stay.  It's called Colonial Gables and it's right on the water there in Belfast.  We stayed in one of the cottages.  It was adorable.  Here's the kitchen.
bedroom
bathroom
living area after Andrew tore the cushions off the couch
 

I'll share some outside photos in tomorrow's post.  If you are ever in Belfast, Me, I highly recommend staying
at  Colonial Gables. 
Travel map:



4 comments:

Lesley said...

Maine's one of the seven states that I haven't been to! I would love to see it in all its fall glory. I hope you tried a "lobstah" roll while you were there--I've had them in Massachusetts but I've heard that Maine does them best.

~Kimberly said...

Okay. Loved the pumpkins! But..I think the breast cancer awareness lady should have had little pumpkin tatas! I'm just sayin.

danielle p. said...

I am so loving this trip. I want to visit New England some day. sigh.

Ladners'Latest said...

Yes, Leslie we had lots of lobstah rolls! Yum (they sell new shell lobsters for $4.99 each!) It's amazing.

And Kim...if you look closely...she did have little tiny pumpkin tatas! That's why everyone kept taking her pic! lol