Friday, July 24, 2009

Surf's Up (or not)

Ok, so I've lived in Hawaii for 4 1/2 years and I've NEVER tried to surf...until today! Drew's friend and former squadron mate took Kellye, Andrew, and I to Barber's Point to give it a whirl. It was an unusually cloudy day and the water was really choppy, but still the waves were small enough for beginners. Kellye went first. Let me just say that watching was HILARIOUS! Every time a wave came, she'd fall off the board. Here she is riding a wave to shore.

Ben stayed in the water with us swimming along side of the board, giving instructions. Here they are discussing Kel's attempt!
In the meantime, Andrew entertained himself by covering himself head to toe in SAND!
Then it was my turn. I was terrified! Not of the surf, but rather falling off and hitting the rocks below. My personal goal for the day: DO NOT FALL OFF THE BOARD! Here I am waiting for the perfect wave...lol
I waited and waited and made several attempts, but didn't quite get the hang of it. I never caught a wave, but I reached my goal. I did NOT fall off!! I was however, POOPED!
Surfing could be really fun if I could just get the hang of it. Though I had no success on my first try, I'm not giving up. I WILL figure it out! It was a lot of fun. I can only imagine how much fun it is when you actually surf! So until next time...

No comments: